Sold out crowd in Barclays Center marks history for Filipinos in the U.S.; Part 2 to air on Sept 18 worldwide
BROOKLYN, NY, September 13, 2016 – The excerpt below from the welcome message of no less thanGovernor of New York Andrew M. Cuomo was a portent of great things to come on the evening of September 3 at Barclays Center, the sports and entertainment mecca of Brooklyn, New York:
“ABS-CBN The Filipino Channel is known for providing excellent programming to an appreciative audience here in New York and neighboring areas. This large and growing network is proud to bring its most popular show,ASAP, to a market of delighted fans, and I join in applauding all who have helped make tonight’s event a reality. May you all enjoy this exciting and inspiring expression of musical creativity.”
And, indeed, a sold out Barclays Center stood as witness to the unique Filipino musical genius when ASAP Live in New York delivered a world class concert extravaganza with over 50 Filipino performers from the Philippines and the U.S.
It is worth mentioning who were the modern minstrels and present-day terpsichoreans – international avatars of collective Filipino pride — who graced the stage to deliver one sterling production number after another.
From the Philippines: Angeline Quinto, Billy Crawford, Daniel Padilla, Daryl Ong, Elmo Magalona, Enrique Gil, Erik Santos, Gary Valenciano, Gerald Anderson, Janella Salvador, Jason Dy, Jay-R, Jolina Magdangal, Jona, Kathryn Bernardo, Kim Chiu, Klarisse De Guzman, Kyla, KZ Tandingan, Liza Soberano, Luis Manzano, Maja Salvador, Martin Nievera, Morissette, Piolo Pascual, Yeng Constantino, Zsa Zsa Padillla with special guests Coco Martin and Onyok from the hit TV series, “Ang Probinsiyano”, Vice Ganda, ABS-CBN Chief Content Officer and host of the longest running Philippine TV drama anthology, “Maala-ala Mo Kaya” Charo Santos-Concio, and the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Maestro Gerard Salonga.
From the U.S.: the Filipino Broadway artist group known as the Broadway Barkada: Jaygee Macapugay, Karla Garcia, Jon Viktor Corpuz and Ali Ewoldt.
Currently living in New York as reigning Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach from the Philippines also graced the event.
Filipinos all over the world can also be proud of the success stories of New York-based Filipino Americans featured in the “Love Songs and Stories” (LSS) segments: teacher Conchita Singson, nanny Amor Villasin, the late Ma. Teresa Santillan, Mark Bustos, Nicole Ponseca and Jhett Tolentino.
The nearly 9,000-strong audience got a treat of two live full shows from the ASAP Live in New York cast whose second part will be aired on TFC linear worldwide on September 18.
“ASAP Live in New York was a dream and realizing it didn’t happen overnight,” said ABS-CBN Global Events Business Unit Head Ricky Resurreccion. “It is a huge testament to the unswerving commitment of our company leaders, the ASAP team and TFC in North America that we all came together to do this for the Filipinos overseas. It is our honor to have made Filipino event history in New York with our beloved Kapamilya, and their tremendous support inspires us to continue providing them with meaningful and memorable live entertainment experience.”
Below is a colorful journey in images of the main activities of the historic ASAP Live in New York captured byTroi Santos, Joyce Andes-David and Arman David of AJ Images, Ronald Antonio, Velzon Hizon Velez, Bradford Adkins, Richard Lao, Ariel Gutierrez and Dan Yap of OMG and Nerissa Fernandez.
3. At the press conference last September 1 at New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge with Piolo Pascual, Maja Salvador, Eric Santos, Liza Soberano, Enrique Gil, Martin Nievera, Gary Valenciano, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Kim Chiu, Luis Manzano and Jolina Magdangal. Consul General Mario De Leon Jr. and ABS-CBN North America Managing Director Olivia De Jesus welcomed the ASAP team, the media and the community members in attendance. Joining them were ABS-CBN Global Events Business Unit Head Ricky Resurreccion, ASAP Business Unit Head Joyce Liquicia, Vice Consul Khrystina Corpuz and Assistant to the Consul General Gret Aberin.
- On proud display on the state-of-the-art Oculus Display of Barclays Center is the ASAP Live in New York logo.
ASAP LIVE IN NEW YORK IN ACTION
- Source of Filipino pride in New York – the Broadway Barkada – wows the audience in their spectacular number together with ASAP mainstays.
- ASAP paid tribute to the great Filipina composer, Cecile Azarcon, now based in the U.S.
- Extreme right, Drew Abigail, representative from the Office of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, presents the welcome message to ABS-CBN. From left are community leader Edwin Josue, Madame Eleanor De Leon, ABS-CBN President and CEO Carlo Katigbak, Consul General Mario De Leon Jr. of New York, and ABS-CBN Global COO Raffy Lopez.
- On stage, Zsa Zsa Padilla and Martin Nievera received the Proclamation of ABS-CBN TFC ASAP Filipino Pride Day in New York from New York Mayor Bill de Blasio and the Welcome Message from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. From left, community leader Edwin Josue, Cheska Tolentino, representative from thew Office of the Mayor of New York, Zsa Zsa, Consul General Mario De Leon Jr, Martin, and community leaders Juliet Payabyab and Marilyn Abalos.
- ABS-CBN executives from the Philippines and the U.S. came to support the event. Some shown in these photos are (right photo) ABS-CBN Chairman Eugenio Lopez III, President and CEO Carlo Katigbak, Head of Integrated Marketing Nandy Villar, KidZania Manila Mayor Cookie Bartolome and ABS-CBN North America Managing Director Olivia De Jesus. On right, ABS-CBN Global COO Raffy Lopez is shown with wife Gaucha and daughter Tyrese. (Rich Lao)
- ASAP LIVE IN NEW YORK: Reaching Out, Joining Hands, Touching Hearts